Before you get too excited by the title… I haven’t finished my total…. but I have managed to get in from work do all the things I needed to do and then sit down in one sitting to bash out 2004 words and have managed it in less than 1.5 hours. I barely stopped and I did free write – no editing.
It is funny how many inconsistences you find and want to edit when writing this way. Resist!
So now I have broken 33000 and my little graph is proud to have bars just over the average by this point marker line.
- Every day feels different – sometimes the writing hurts, sometimes it feels stuck or forced, bottle the feeling you have on the days it gives you pleasure. Spend a few moments breathing in and thinking of how good that feels. It may help you feel better about your write.
- Try not to judge… yourself. Turning off that inner editor doesn’t just mean write without a spell check, it means write without your Gremlins telling you how poor it is, tell them to bugger off and come back after 50K words, that way you will have rid of them for at least the rest of Nano if not well into Christmas and the New Year!
- Just keep going – there is less than a fortnight to go. If you have written everyday you have less to do than you have already done.
- Stay positive – this has really helped me – I have tried to keep thinking of this project as a GOOD experience to have and this has helped not get emotionally run down by the daily task of producing 1667 words.
- Remember how AMAZINGLY awesome you are for even attempting to write half a novel in a month!