© 2022 I:DNA STAMP Productions
I am a poet based in the Midlands. I have two pamphlets: Fragile Houses (2016) and Patience (2019) both published by V. Press. I am one of the Directors of Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe and a member of Room 204 – the writer development scheme run by Writing West Midlands.
I was a Reader in Residence for West Midlands Readers’ Network in 2017, worked as a Lead Writer for WWM at The Hive in Worcester and was Worcestershire Poet Laureate (2017-18).
I’ve always enjoyed being involved in community projects.
Before the pandemic I suffered a 17 month health battle following an operation and subsequent injury. I was just about back on feet (more literal than you know), when the pandemic struck and the UK went into Lockdown. Before hospitalisation (2018), V. Press had accepted my second pamphlet and the editing process was about to begin. This was understandably delayed.
I didn’t start writing again until 2020 and I decided to take the Lockdown as a platform of learning, so although I have been lucky enough to be involved in many projects and commissions during recent years, I was not fully in my role as I am today.
It was 2022 before I was ready to carry on with what I’d started in 2014. I consider this 3 year gap a massive chasm or eternal battlefield. I am trying now to let go of that past and carry on. Spend energy wisely and remain positive, remain in artful creativity.
Be gentle on yourselves.
Listed here are some of the recent highlights and my thanks:
Also huge gratitude to every artist/organisation/charity who have supported us all throughout the pandemic. There are numerous events and monthly meetings I attend which aren’t named individually here, they know who they are and they can probably guarantee a mention elsewhere in the waters of this fountain.
I:DNA / DNA Our Stories
Resonance Festival/ with STAMP productions at Warwick Arts Centre, Helen Martin Studio
Claim on Baggage, In Hold – published in DNA: Our Stories Pamphlet
Read it Wild – readings and conversations with nature writers
With nature writers: Amanda Tuke, Vanessa Wright and Jane V Adams
Janis, Master Unknown Forces published – Backwards & Forwards / Wild Words
- Dear 2020, Dear 2021 – The Start of It Project with Nik Perring & Sheffield Libraries
- The Redditch Borough Poetry Film with maz broadcast
- Muldvarp, A Raindrop Asks Where It Came From, Endgame – published in Wingset, RSPCA Charity Anthology
- Territory* shown at 2021 REEL Poetry Festival, Houston – Texas/USA
*Territory – one of 10 poetry films/animations commissioned by Elephant’s Footprint for the Poetry Renewed Project in 2019/20
- First international poet to be published in Literary Alchemy Press, Awumbuk – with thanks to Francesca Terzano
- Wishing Well, Territory, Not Listed on Medicine Side Effects – Published in The Brown Envelope Book Edited: Alan Morrison and Kate Jay-R/ Culture Matters
- CoLAB – Connect Dudley Project (2020) & Exhibition (2021): recorded audio/ interview and commissioned poems displayed in the window of the HUB on Dudley High Street. / Black Country Creatives
- Grotto – Published in Recoil 12* Mulla Mulla Press (Australia)
*Annual anthologies which feature a selection of Headline poets from Perth Poetry Club. Grotto is one of the poems I wrote back in 2018 following my experience in Australia when I visited the Perth Poetry Festival as an International Guest Poet.
- Read at the Book Launch Reading For Corona An Anthology of Poems – Edited by Gayl Teller (2020) Walt Whitman Birthplace.
- Where We Begin was featured on Ink Sweat & Tears
- Facilitated Freeverse Workshop ‘Finding Fortune’ – through Cheltenham Poetry Festival
- Leaves of Grass inspired Poetry Film in celebration of Walt Whitman’s 202nd Birthday – WWBP/USA
- Interview BBC Hereford & Worcester
- Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe Mini (Annual) Festival 2021 Online
- Soundbaths in the Cave – published in The Mindful Poetry Anthology – The Well/USA
- Facilitated Poetry Workshops for The Star Centre – Outreach/Cheltenham Poetry Festival
- Read at Writing from Inlandia 2020 Anthology Launch /USA
- Leave an Outline – MASS Poetry Festival Anthology
- Alight published in a Fire & Dust Anthology
- LAB4Living Project (2020) Exhibition & Pamphlet Anthology – included my poem Passive Assurance
- Showcase performer Featured at the Walt Whitman Birthplace
- Thumbnail nature published on the London Wildlife Trust website
- Picnic published in UP! Magazine
- Winter Thumbnail – published London Wildlife Trust website
Appreciative gratitude to the following people who I took regular classes and/ or workshops with: Jess Green, Judith Redwing, L.A Marks, Tawnya Renelle, Peggy Roubles-Alvarado, John Brantingham, Sara-Jane Arbury & Ledbury Poetry Festival, Anna Saunders, Zelda Chappel, Sarah L. Dixon, Wendy Pratt and Rakaya Fetuga.
- My pamphlet Patience (V.Press, 2019) was listed in the Poetry Book Society Spring Selection 2020
- Out of Sight – Rick Sanders Covid Project (PoArty)
- Showcase Poet – The Stay at Home Festival
- Completed Elephant’s Footprint 2019 Animation 10x Poetry Renewed Project Commission
- Tailspin was used on the Poetry Live Relaunch website from the above commission
- Smudge, Homing Birds, No Network Connection, Alkaline, Kite – Published Writing From Inlandia Anthology
- CONNECT DUDLEY commissioned poet – project linked with a Lockdown Community Writing Group
Rest and Recalibrate
The Universe on her Shoulders
A Woman with a Big Heart
The World is a Weird Place Right Now
- Poet in Residence (Virtual) for Cheltenham Poetry Festival
- The Sunshine Project – Light Anthology – Black Light Engine Room
- Monumental, The House of the Will of King John – Call & Response, Amanda Bonnick – published Black Pear Press
- Of Ashes or Lead, Empty Freedom – Published in Corona An Anthology of Poems – Edited by Gayl Teller (WWBPA) /USA
- A Scattering, Wild Fruits published Geography is Irrelevant York anthology
- I am Drawn, Pieces (Opus 29)/ Hoisted (Sketches No.8) Emery Arts 34th Art & Poetry Celebration Anthology – Ekphrastic Poetry
- Filming poetry for the Redditch Borough Film
- The Reimagine Festival
- Booked to lead a Freeverse Workshop by Cheltenham Poetry Festival
Appreciative gratitude to the following people who I took regular classes and/or workshops with, or was commissioned by: Judith Redwing, Tawnya Renelle, L.A Marks, Celena Diane Bumpus, Jess Green, Mab Jones, Julia Webb, Cath Drake, Sarah L. Dixon, Rick Sanders, Anna Saunders and Rakaya Fetuga.
THE ORIGINAL TEXT (2013)
In 2013 I started this blog. I hadn’t written for over six years, I had been ignoring the nagging voice of my creative spirit! 2013 a new year, a new me, a new opportunity… and in the wider picture I created this blog to track progress and hopefully find inspiration also, who knows where it will go.
Although I created a website nearly 13 years ago, this is my first time blogging and WordPress is new to me too, learning as I go!
THE FIRST YEAR – 2013
I submitted lots of writing, read lots, researched, sent out book proposals, attended literature events, absorbed the life of a freelancer. Went part time at work and then later left to be an agency worker with less hours and more flexibility. By September I had made a decision to focus on Poetry and in October I ventured back onto the stage to share work at Spoken Word events. I also applied for a writing position with Writing West Midlands and started work as an Assistant Writer with Ian MacLeod in February 2014. I have met some great people, supportive writers and made some great new friends.
To follow updates for 2014 onwards, scroll to the bottom of the page.
I am a published poet and a freelance writer – articles, short stories, scripts. I am about to embark on the freelance career again after a long break. This time I am no longer a ‘young writer’, I am in a more settled place, with patience and an understanding of ‘temporary setbacks’, this time I will not change path! I am just going to keep going.
The blog is the journey from the start, hope you follow me up the yellow brick road!
OCTOBER – Online Retreat – INKSPILL
Last year I ran an online writing retreat from this blog – the last weekend of October. This year I plan to do the same. I have secured other writers to join me this year, they will each bring something unique to your experience. Look out for information this July and book the last weekend of OCTOBER off to write and read and write!
Happy Writing x
AWARDS for the Blog 2013
PERSONAL ONLINE WRITING ACHIEVEMENTS 2013
Published /Displayed Poetry 2014
Creative minds – Published Kidderminster Creatives website
4 poems in ‘Restless Bones’ Poetry Anthology sold to raise awareness of the Fur trade – all proceeds given to Born Free Foundation.
Clench – Hark Magazine
Poem displayed on the Poetry Fence at Acton Scott farm
Croft Original – Poem on Wenlock Poetry Trail
Fourth Wall – Poem on display for DAN arts network – Droitwich library
21 Haikus used in an installation by Hayley Frances for What’s the Agenda – The Mac Birmingham
Fallacy (a 52 poem) Published in a print anthology
Half and Half Pig & The Cart poems published Poetry on the Farm Blog
Falling into Line – Published HCE Here Comes Everyone Boy/Girl Issue
Picasso of Dance – Published by Paragram in ‘Remember’ Print Anthology
Hanbury Hall Poems to be used by DAN
Projects & Performances
This year I received some great news in April about a paid opportunity to perform next year, which I can now reveal is the Quiet Compere Tour 2015 – 10th July The Hive Worcester
I was booked to perform with The Poetry Army.
I am currently working towards a performance project for later in this year.
In addition to performing poetry at open mics, festivals (Wenlock Poetry Festival, Stratford Poetry Festival, WLF Worcester LitFest, Birmingham Literature Festival), gallery openings, book launches and events I also work as an Assistant Writer for Writing West Midlands. Recently another similar opportunity has arisen, after just 6 months, which I can now reveal is Mentoring. I also finally made it to Ledbury Poetry Festival and Coventry NightBlueFruit.
Performed alongside Adrian Mealing for the first half of Jonny FluffyPunk’s Show at WLF Worcester LitFest, in front of the man himself, who particularly liked my moustache poem.
Arts All Over The Place – Poetry, Performance & Everything Else Festival – Opening Event & Poetry Performance
Birmingham Literature Festival – Naked Lungs – Urban Nature – A commissioned poetry performance with two other poets.
Performed at the Cheltenham Medical Conference- Organised by Sarah Dixon
Mentoring 1 to 1 for Writing West Midlands
Organised promoting Daniel Sluman through the blog.
Weapons of War Ghanda’s Story Published – Not A Silent Poet
Bridgework – Seamus Heaney Anthology
Ambiguous Answers – Paper Swans Anthology
Beyond Gas Street Basin – Birmingham Bound Anthology
Late Spring & Others – Caldmore Poetry Workshop poems – published on David Calcutt’s ‘Natural Histories’ blog. http://naturalhistoriesblog.com/others-writing/
Shame in the City – published on Virtual Verse http://visualverse.org/submissions/shame-in-the-city/
A Day at the Seaside – Nutshells & Nuggets
The Gift – Under the Radar
Fortori – Under the Radar
Lake Glaze – GBWO
Adhoc Fiction – BOOM
Projects & Performance
Mentoring 1:1 for WWM – 3 month pilot
Started being invited as a Guest Poet/ Feature;
January: Guest Poet (along with Bert Flitcroft) at The Poetry Lounge – Ludlow. Jean Atkin/ Deborah Alma
Team Leader – Mouth & Music Spark Off!
Guest Poet (along with Lily Blacksell & Antony Owen) WORD UP! The Coffee Lounge – Birmingham. Ddotti Bluebell/ Jasmine Gardosi
February: I took bookings for Guest Poet slots
March: Charity Night at The Martineau Gardens, Nomad Variety, 2 comedians, 2 musicians and a poet. David Rees-Jones
Hark Issue 4 Magazine Launch and Reading – published poets from this issue and previous issues were invited to read for a 10 minute slot, this was not a headline, but it was LONDON and I did feel that it was exceptionally high standard and that my poetry was not out of place.
March 2015: Asked to be a Lead Writer with Writing West Midlands
Applied for Worcestershire Poet Laureate
April: David Calcutt edited a group poem from our work in Caldmore Community Garden workshops, to be performed in June & August at local events/festival in Walsall.
Performed at Book Launch: The Magnetic Diaries by Sarah James
Performed Wenlock Poetry Festival: Open Mic & at The 52 Event
May: Guest Poet Permission to Speak, Scary Canary. Rob Francis
Long-Listed, then Short-Listed: Worcestershire Poet Laureate
June: Worcestershire Poet Laureate Finalist – positioned 3rd
Live Lit – A Night of Poetry and Music as part of the Droitwich Festival. Performed a set alongside 8 other talented poets and musicians from Worcestershire.
July: 1 of the 10 Poets on the Quiet Compere Tour of the Midlands, The Hive – Worcester
Booked to perform at Arts All Over the Place at the Madhatter Charity Fundraiser
Booked to perform for Shakti Women – Womanly Words
August: Paper Swans Press Schooldays Book Launch, Poetry Café, London
Headlined HOWL, alongside Sophie Sparham and Carl Sealeaf.
Poetry Festival Swindon, Performed in the 52 event
Arts All Over the Place Pre-Festival Promotion Event. Madhatter’s Ball.
Commissioned with Suz Winspear, by Heather Wastie (Worcestershire Poet Laureate), for a National Poetry Day project ‘Light & Shade’.
Claire walker – Book Launch The Girl who Grew into a Crocodile
Headlined The Poetry Café Refreshed, Cheltenham
Book to the Future UoB Festival – Phenomenal Women
Poetry Brothel – Halloween – P Café, Caged Arts
Winter Wonderland – P Café, Caged Arts
Your Sentence of Non-Guilt
Poems for Ashraf Fayadh published in I Am Not a Silent Poet
Expectation – Abridged Floodland Issue
Quantum Wonderment – Fairacre Press
Maligned Species Project Spider E-book
ācweorna – Fairacre Press
Maligned Species Project Grey Squirrel E-book
New Ulster Love Poems
Headlining Stirchley Speaks at the P Café in February
DETAILS moved to: https://awritersfountain.wordpress.com/poetry-2/