Firstly, congratulations! You made it to the FINAL week! You probably have 10-21 poems and a handful you like. That’s more than 3 poems which would not otherwise exist, cherish them, keep them safe and edit them over the coming months.
Now you have to keep going, you have come so far along this road. Just 7 more days, filled with the possibility of 7 new poems. Just a few minutes a day will get you there. No need for 50 reps at this stage!
Carve some time out for yourself and use it. I have written several NaPo poems whilst cooking in the kitchen, the laptop is in the room next door and popping in and out can work wonders in that 30-50 minutes.
Remember it IS good enough, NaPoWriMo isn’t about perfection, it is not about the finished article, it is about generating the ideas, feeding the mind and most importantly HAVING FUN!
So a few survival tips:
- Forgive yourself for lagging behind, either spend time catching up or just accept those days are gone and move on.
- Try a prompt, they are optional but great for generating new ideas and styles.
- Look up a form you do not know and give it a try.
- READ! There are 100s of sites on napowrimo.net who have signed up and 1000s of poems to go and read.
- Try a Haiku – a good way to catch up the days of missed poems.
- Blog about the process.
- Read the craft articles.
- Just keep going.
- Reward yourself for getting it done.
- Write freely, edit in May!
Explore & enjoy the adventure!