6th February 2016
Why a National Libraries Day?
- To say thank you to our nation’s librarians for the wonderful work they do
- To get people out to visit their library and see the amazing services our libraries offer – and join up if not already a member
- To promote the work of libraries of all kinds in our communities
- It’s a reminder: libraries matter to us all, and this is the time when we can send a collective, public message to decision makers that we love and value our libraries and recognise that no one else can do the work of a professional librarian – especially in an election year
- To get together as a community to celebrate what we value – and libraries are at the heart of this
National Libraries Day is a grassroots celebration led by library staff and library users. It is supported by CILIP and a coalition of leading literacy, reading, library and education organisations including the Reading Agency, the School Library Association and the Society of Chief Librarians.
And what treats our County had in store for us. I was lucky enough to start the day in The Hive – Worcester Library as my Writing West Midlands group met and spent the session gathering material for our book and completing a mock up of it.
Then I hot footed to see Liz Berry perform at Bromsgrove Library. It was great to hear/see her in action again and a really great way for the local library to celebrate National Libraries Day. Her opening speech about libraries was passionate.
I feel the same way about libraries – I moved around the Country a lot as a 20 something and I would always check out the library, like a second home. It is appalling that these services are having budget cuts and closures. No-one says this but they are also a great place for the children of families who aren’t book families, for people who can’t afford to buy lots of books. Safe spaces that need to be protected and cherished.
Liz Berry’s set was nothing short of magical. It was a lovely night.
BUY a copy of ‘Black Country’ https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1097057/black-country/9780701188573/
LOVE YOUR LIBRARIES!