I have spent the past 9 days organising my first real-life event as Worcestershire Poet Laureate. SALT KING 200 is a FREE public event organised by Barbara Middlemass as part of the ARTSFEST in Droitwich. Opening the lawns of the Chateau Impney (as John Corbett did) to the townspeople to picnic and celebrate the 200th Anniversary of Corbett, the Salt King.
I have been working with Droitwich Arts Network (DAN) for the past 5 months organising the poetry events for ArtsFest in July (22nd July). I contacted them to enquire about a poetry element for the SALT KING event and then called to action local poets. I was delighted to have a great response for something on short notice.
Originally there were 10 poets, unfortunately some have had to drop out – the irony of which is there are 7 poets (I am the 7th Poet Laureate) and myself. 8 poets is still a fair number and it is sure to be a lovely day – especially if the weather does what it did yesterday. The forecast was 18°C and turned up to 26°C and it remained dry. My new picnic blanket (bought yesterday) is waterproof if not.
The event if FREE and is from 12-5 with plenty of stalls and entertainment as well as an official ceremony marking the Corbett family.
The poster design is by wonderful local artist Rosie Philpott.
Poets are meeting at 1PM for a picnic and then performing for an hour 2-3PM around the site. At 3PM we take to the DAN stage to perform our sets on the mic and promote the rest of the poetry events for the ARTSFEST.
I am grateful to our local poets:
I am busy with BIOS, writing poetry and dreaming up my perfect picnic lunch for the rest of the morning!
If you are local, do come along and join in the celebrations.
- All are invited to bring their own food & drink;
- Local history and community groups will be highlighting the life, times and heritage of John Corbett.
- Members of John Corbett’s family will be in attendance as will people from Tywyn and Amblecote
- There will be live music, poetry and some simple entertainment will be provided for children.
- No commercial activities will be allowed at the event, however, Chateau Impney will offer some light refreshments;
- The day starts with an (optional) walk from John Corbett’s graveside in Stoke Prior to the Chateau in the morning.